Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Google Algorithm Update


I recently received an email telling me that it's insulting that I act like I "know and am friends with" the people that subscribe to my newsletter. Since I never want to be insulting, let me start by saying:

Dear person I do not know, please find important and impersonal information below. If I knew you, I may say you would find this info helpful but since I don't know you, I would never presume to know what info you like....

OK, can't do it. Sorry guys, it's my style. I like people and I like my work, so I come across as <gasp> friendly and personable. Needless to say, she is no longer on my list to endure the blatant insults. :)

So now that I got that little rant out of the way (it's cloudy and cool this morning in Huntington Beach - seems like a perfect rant worthy morning), lemme share some info with you....

Google has made a bunch of algorithm changes recently (about 10) - which is not newsworthy in and of itself - they always make changes. I'll cover the other ones in my next newsletter. But there is one that is worth talking about now.

It seems freshness is good not only in baked goods but also in the engines (yep, another attempt at humor, don't tell my husband, he still doesn't get how funny I am!)

OK, back to Google freshness.... Here is a quote from them:

"As we announced just over a week ago, we've made a significant improvement to how we rank fresh content. This change impacts roughly 35 percent of total searches (around 6-10% of search results to a noticeable degree) and better determines the appropriate level of freshness for a given query."

So the take away? Keep content fresh! Hmmm, I think I've been saying that for years. It's becoming more important than ever. Especially if you are in an industry where things are changing and there are clear and strong trends - you want to keep feeding fresh content to the bots (resisting the urge to insert a really bad joke here about them eating fresh content and me preferring fresh bread!).

You are busy running your business and taking care of a zillion things but content addition needs to make your list of things to do - unless you are outsourcing. Someone needs to be adding high quality content to your site.

OK, this is a long one, so 2 last things and then I'll let you go.

A tip from PubCon: Matt Cutts said that Google was testing algorithms that determine how much content is available above the fold on your web pages. He cautioned that sites that have ads that obscure content could be in trouble. Check your site - do your website visitors see the content easily and readily on your site or is it obstructed by ads and other distractions?

Lastly, I wanted to remind you about (and shameless promote) my book:

Every day I get so many questions about SEO, social media, budget for SEO, Blogging and more. I realized that a lot of you may not know about my book Breaking The SEO Code.
For under $15 you can access to my book with all the step by step details on SEO, in-depth social media information and Blogging etc.

Who is this book good for:
1. Anyone that wants to do their own SEO on their site
2. Anyone that wants to understand SEO so they know if their current contractor is actually doing a good job or not
3. Anyone that wants one source of info they can trust on SEO, Blogging and social media
4. Anyone that knows a little about SEO but wants to know more