Monday, April 1, 2013

Action versus inaction



This morning I got an email from a great subscriber of mine (who is hopefully going to guest Blog for me soon!) suggesting that I should have edited the audio before sending it out. Some people also suggested that I send the audio in a different format.  As always, I appreciate feedback.  And as always, I use every situation I face as an example to teach/help people.


Without getting too personal and boring you with the details, let me say that I am about to be out of the office for a couple days for medical reasons and am also dealing with the imminent death of my Grandmother.  I am short on time and have a lot I am trying to get done.  Things like this happen often.  We always have to balance life and business. 

In a perfect world, the audio would be edited and it would be in an easier format.  BUT I am getting inundated with requests from people that are anxious to hear it (thanks guys, I appreciate your interest - you all rock!).


So the question becomes:
Is something better than nothing?  My general feeling is that action is always better than inaction.  So if I can get people info, even if it isn't polished, it's better than nothing.  BUT the problem with that is people judge you based on what you put out there and if you aren't putting your best foot forward, you risk alienating people and having them form incorrect judgments about you and your work.

In marketing, no one is going to get it right all the time and that's just a fact.  I still think the principal that action is better than inaction is a good one to live by.  We are all juggling a million things in life and in business and if everything was perfect before it went live, less would get done quickly and delays are rarely good.

BUT it also depends on the quality of what you are putting out there.  On this one, I may have made a bad call and probably should have done some editing but at least the content is there among the unedited mess.  :)
So I ask that you learn from this little lesson and consider the options and consequences of "action versus inaction" and "'polished enough' versus perfect".  I also ask that you forgive my error in judgment in getting this audio out before it was edited.  :)